Life is GOOD!

Life is GOOD!
Jump IN!

Tuesday, December 13, 2011

You Light up My Life!

Just recently our land-lady asked me if we wanted to put up the Christmas lights that are stored in the basement. I told her that I thought that it was not necessary, since our very large house consumes so much energy already. I left it at that. This weekend, Jim and I went out and found a Christmas tree. We dug out boxes of ornaments that have traveled with us twice around the globe. After we decorated the tree and plugged in the lights I had an instant feeling of joy and merriment. What was it about those twinkling white lights that brought a smile to my face? I am sure it was also the sentimental value of so many items we placed on the tree, like the handmade ornaments from pre-school, the beautiful angel that I inherited from my mother, who received it from Great Aunt Deb and the interesting ornaments that we carefully labeled with the year and country of purchase. There are so many traditions and customs that are associated with the holiday season. Take Christmas cards as an example. Yesterday I sat in the car "watching" Jamieson at futbol practice. During this time, I sometimes take a run, listen to Bulgarian, read or make my to-do list. On Monday, I decided to use the one and half hours to start writing my Christmas cards. As I was scribbling away, two things came to mind. First, that writing cards would be so much easier and less labour intenstive if I did it digitally. Second, that I was going to have to learn to use the local mailing system here in Bulgaria, which was a bit daunting for me. I also wondered; does the joyful and loving feeling of receiving a personal holiday note from someone out way the massive impact that Christmas cards have on our environment? I guess the various generations would answer this question differently. I decided to be selective in my Christmas card writing this year and only use snail mail to my aunties and uncles that, for them, is a part of Christmas. So, anyone who has a gmail, hotmail, yahoo account will be receiving the digital version of my holiday greeting. This is not to say that I love anyone less, I am just deciding to have one foot in the boat, and one out with regards to Christmas "change". Some of these holiday traditions can and should be passed along from generation to generation, while others can be adapted to suit the 21st Century. So, since I made the conscious effort by selectively sending the cards, I immediately wrote our our landlady and reneged on my choice not to have lights. I figured, it really is only one month of the year... I can handle an elevated electricity bill, if it puts a smile on someones face as they pass by our place.

1 comment:

  1. Andie I just wanted to let you know that I am reading and I love your posts and perspective! Is Jamo taller than Alexa?
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete