Life is GOOD!

Life is GOOD!
Jump IN!

Friday, March 26, 2010

Clear the Air

Week 10

When I think of the saying “clear the air” I visualize a disagreement between two parties, and the value of forging a strong relationship built on two-way communication. This entry, however, is not related to resolving a quarrel, but rather, the importance of having plants share your home. Did you know that having houseplants can make people feel more optimistic and calmer? House plants have also been known to decrease fatigue, coughs and sore throats. This makes sense since plants clean impurities from the air. All of the above health benefits will also come in handy when you are figuratively trying to “clear the air”. The next time you find yourself in a stressful situation, surround yourself with green and take deep cleansing breaths. Kathy, a very close friend, told me that green is the colour of your heart chakra which connects your physical and spiritual world. Opening the heart chakra allows a person to love, empathize and feel compassion. One day I was complaining to Kathy about feeling warn out and tired and she advised me go outside and sit in a park and surround myself with nature, because green is life. Green signifies growth, renewal and health. As I sat cross legged in the green space at our condominium, I was amazed at the transformation of my feeling. As I looked up at the palms, swaying in the breeze, I was at peace. I was also thinking what a first-rate job those palms were doing at removing the airborne toxins of the 22 million people who call Sao Paulo home. Thankfully palms are also known for adding up to one liter of moisture to the air per day. After thinking about the benefits of house plants, I was curious to know how many house plants it would take to “clear the air”. I found out that it is recommended to have 15 to 18 house plants for an 1800 square-foot (580m) house. I don’t think that my two sad looking ivy plants are cutting it. Next stop, the greenhouse!

Have a great weekend friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment