Life is GOOD!

Life is GOOD!
Jump IN!

Friday, February 12, 2010

Spread the LOVE!

Week 4- Spread the Love

Hi Everyone,
Yet, another Friday has come and gone and I sit here thinking "wow, I am lucky to be alive". Why do I feel ten years younger as I sit in my fortieth year of existence feeling like I am in my twenties? The answer is, LOVE my friends!

Did you know that displays of affection can help to strengthen attachments, which may encourage the growth of neurons in the brain? I thank my lovely husband for keeping my brain stimulated, but I also thank my close girlfriends who are there for me in times of need, whether to offer a supportive "chin up"or "keep it up". I recognize that this too, is the closeness that is unconditional and is building neurons as we speak! I am grateful for my Mom, who spreads her love so freely. Wow, as I think of the future, it feels bright and beautiful because I am surrounded by happiness and love. What more could a brain ask for?
After really thinking of the need for your brain to feel love, I started researching and found a cool website (not sure how scientific, but interesting nonetheless). The following excerpt comes from http://www.reuniting.info/science/sex_in_the_brain. Good title hey?
The central neurochemical player behind falling in—and out—of love is dopamine. Dopamine is the principal neurochemical that activates your reward circuitry. Your reward circuitry drives nearly all of your behaviors. In other words, most all roads lead to Rome, or to the reward circuitry so you can assess things as "good, bad, or indifferent."

At its most basic, this circuit is activated when you engage in activities that further your survival, or the continuation of your genes. Whether it’s sex, eating, taking risks, achieving goals, or drinking water, all increase dopamine, and dopamine turns on your reward circuitry. You can think of dopamine as the "I’ve got to have it" neurochemical, whatever "it" is. It’s the "craving" signal.

The more dopamine you release and the more your reward circuit is activated, the more "reward" you experience. A good example is food. We get a much bigger blast of dopamine eating high-calorie foods than we do low-calorie foods. It’s why we choose chocolate cake over Brussels sprouts. Our reward circuit is programmed so that "calories equal survival." You’re not actually craving ice cream, or a winning lotto ticket, or even a romp in the sack. You’re craving the dopamine that is released with these activities. Dopamine is your major motivation, not the item or activity. Do not get the idea that dopamine is bad. There's no such thing as a bad neurochemical or hormone, although both can be problems when out of balance. Dopamine is absolutely necessary for your decision-making, happiness, and survival. Yet when it’s too low or too high (or when changes in its receptors alter your sensitivity), it can cause real problems.

What causes low dopamine levels? Dopamine levels are depleted by stress, certain antidepressants, drug use, poor nutrition, and poor sleep. Alcohol, caffeine, and sugar all seem to decrease dopamine activity in the brain.

So, how can we keep our dopamine levels in check? Make sure that you tell the people in your life how important they are. When you have an urge to hug that sales clerk or gas attendant, do it! Recognize how fortunate we are to have people in our life who truly care. Be proactive and tell that person how important they are because not only will they feel amazing, you will also feel terrific too! I found a great website with simple ways to naturally increase your dopamine levels like eating ripe bananas! If you are interested the site is http://www.ehow.com/how_4617145_naturally-increase-dopamine-levels.html

Have a great weekend kissing, hugging, spreading the love and increasing your dopamine levels! Bom Carnaval!
Yours Truly,
Andie

1 comment:

  1. Terrific article-
    I am going to go hug some people.
    Thanks for the links, too.
    I'm already looking forward to next week's blog post!
    THANKS!

    Rob

    ReplyDelete